October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and it is a great opportunity for everyone to get informed about not only the disease itself but also about the necessary steps to take in order to keep yourself healthy. Making a breast cancer awareness wreath is a wonderful, thoughtful present to give to someone who has fought it or who has a friend or a family member that is dealing with it. Such a wreath can also be displayed in honor of those who we might have lost because of breast cancer. Read on to learn how to make a beautiful breast cancer awareness wreath.
How to Make a Breast Cancer Awareness Wreath
Image via: Etsy – Hamleys Country Side – Breast cancer awareness ribbon wreath
Breast Cancer Awareness Wreath Materials:
Ribbon work wreath form choose from red or pink tinsel ties
Pink mesh ribbon (10 inches wide)
Watch a video on how to make Breast Cancer Awareness Wreath:
Directions for making a Breast Cancer Awareness Wreath
- Take the pink mesh and make a loop that should be about 5 inches tall out of the end and tie the loop onto the bottom left set of tinsel ties on the outside of the form
- Run about 8 to 9 inches of mesh to the next set of tinsel and create a poof and continue doing so until you have reached the loop of the ribbon wreath form.
- When you reach the loop, tie the mess to the inside set of tinsel ties. Continue in the same manner.
- Move on to the second tail of the wreath form, using the outside set of tinsel ties.
- When you have reached the end of the second tail continue working your way up to the loop again, this time using the inside sets of tinsel ties. When you get to the loop, use the outside set of tinsel ties and then again the inside tinsel ties when you reach the tail where you started off.
- Cut the excess mess at the end and tuck it in.
- Combine the three ribbons and pinch them together, leaving about 5 to 6 inches of a tail and tie them into your wreath form using the tinsel ties from the bottom of the left tail of your wreath form. Leave about 11 inches of ribbon and skip one set of ties. Tie the ribbon to the next set of tinsel ties. Continue, in the same manner, trying to keep both sides symmetrical. When you are finished cut the ribbons leaving the same 5 to 6 inches of a tail.
- Fluff your mesh and separate your ribbons.
- Hide all your tinsel ties using small pieces of ribbon or tuck them into the mesh to hide.
- Add any embellishments using the tinsel ties to secure them or a glue gun.
Image via: Etsy – Crafts by Cheek – Breast cancer awareness wreath
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Other than making a breast cancer awareness wreath in the month of October, you can decorate your home in a lot of different ways. Of course, the main color to decorate is pink and the pink ribbon symbol is also something that has to be present. Try using pink flowers or pink vases in your home or adding pink curtains to your windows. Also decorating with pink paper lanterns would be a nice way to decorate your porch.
Wreath making for every occasion
Making wreaths is a great hobby and you can make wreaths for just about any occasion. Whether it is to celebrate something or to bring important messages across, there is always a reason to craft a beautiful wreath.
It is not always easy to address such a difficult matter like breast cancer, but it is that more important to make everybody aware of this disease. A wonderful way to raise awareness is to make and even give away such a wonderful breast cancer awareness wraith. You could also take a simple, round wreath form and use pink burlap or pink ribbon and other materials to make another type of such a wreath.
Sign up to get ideas and promotions to celebrate, decorate & organize your home, for FREE!